Monday, July 29, 2013

UFC's Jake Ellenberger: Rory MacDonald is no GSP

Jake EllenbergerSEATTLE — Welterweight opponents Jake Ellenberger and Rory MacDonald say they've had fun taking jabs at each other in the weeks leading up to Saturday's UFC on Fox 8 event.
For the fans, a round of Twitter sparring, which went to the witty Ellenb
erger, has provided some sizzle to an otherwise bland promotional buildup.
But now, as a potential title shot hangs in the balance for the winner of the co-headliner at Seattle's KeyArena (Fox, 8 p.m. ET), the two standouts agree it's all about business.
"I'm pretty confident that this will be a No. 1 contender fight, and verbally, I've been told that, too," Ellenberger (29-6 MMA, 8-2 UFC), 28, told USA TODAY Sports. "I'm not looking past this fight."
Neither is the grim-faced MacDonald (14-1, 5-1), though his path could lead to a move up to middleweight if he keeps his word not to challenge his friend and training partner, Georges St-Pierre, who's scheduled to defend his welterweight title this fall against Johny Hendricks.
Although MacDonald's career frequently draws parallels with the champion, he shrugs off comparisons and is noncommittal about his next step.
"I'm going to be dominant, I'm going to be exciting, and I'm going to use great techniques," MacDonald, 24, said. "If I do all that, everything else will take care of itself, and I'll get to where I want to be."
Unless, of course, Ellenberger is there to stop him. The veteran said his younger opponent will be picking on someone his own size after battering former lightweight titleholder B.J. Penn in December.
Ellenberger, who in March knocked out former Strikeforce champion Nate Marquardt, grunts with irritation when MacDonald is mentioned as a future titleholder at 170 pounds.
"He's been absolutely overblown in the media, like this guy is GSP (St-Pierre)," he said. "Listen, there's only one GSP in the world, and he's been proving time and time again that he's the best.
"For guys to say MacDonald's the next GSP or GSP 2.0? Give me a break. It totally irritates me."
Ellenberger hoped to convey that sentiment when he recently said the fighter had been "broken more times than the weekend curfew at the dorms at Vassar," but later added he was just having fun with his too-serious foe.
MacDonald believes he does everything better than his opponent and won't need emotions to do his job. Then again, the last guy to talk trash got a little more abuse in the cage.
"The B.J. fight, I was having fun just beating on him," MacDonald said. "I figured I might just hurt (Ellenberger) a little bit more."
Betting lines, meanwhile, have MacDonald as a 2-1 favorite to put that hurting on Ellenberg

No comments:

Post a Comment