Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Frustrated Tarvaris Jackson will 'do my job, collect my check'


MONTGOMERY, Ala. -- Tarvaris Jackson spent seven years trying to earn the starting job as quarterback of an NFL team. Now, as he prepares for his eighth season and a second stint with the Seattle Seahawks, he has a new outlook.
"I could have gone to other teams, but I'm in the eighth year of my career now, and I'm just trying to get to the Super Bowl," he said. "I'm all about winning championships. I feel like that was my best chance among the teams I could choose from."
Forgive Jackson if he doesn't sound quite as competitive as he used to be.
The last two years have been frustrating, downright mystifying at times, for a player who feels he has shown he has what it takes to be an NFL starting quarterback.
EAGLES' FOLES: 'I'm here to play'
"I found out the hard way, it's a business," he said. "It had always been football first for me, but now it's kind of shown me the business part of the NFL. That's what I signed up for, so I can't really complain. I just have to do my job, collect my check and keep this going the best I can."
Jackson had spent his career with the Minnesota Vikings after being drafted in the second round of the 2006 draft, but was acquired by the Seattle Seahawks two years ago this week when the Seahawks released veteran Matt Hasselbeck.
Jackson responded with the best season of his career in 2011 -- 271 completions for 3,091 yards and 14 touchdowns in a 7-9 season. The Seahawks responded by bringing in free agent Matt Flynn from the Green Bay Packers and drafting Russell Wilson.
Jackson was sent to the Buffalo Bills. The timing, for Jackson, couldn't have been worse.
Acquired by the Bills in late August, he had no time to learn the playbook or the players before the start of the 2012 season. He became a third-stringer who never played a snap.
In June, history repeated itself as the Bills' new coaching staff brought in free agent Kevin Kolb and drafted EJ Manuel, then cut Jackson.
"They got me early, then Kevin Kolb, then they drafted Manuel," Jackson said. "I really feel like they want to push (Manuel) into the competition. I wish him the best of luck. I just feel like that's the trend right now. They've got a new head coach, and they feel like they can grow with (Manuel). I'm an older guy, been around. I don't fault them. I actually appreciate them for letting me go as early as they did.
"They could have held on to me until after (training) camp and it could've been a tough situation like it was last year, which I really didn't want."
A day later, he was back with the Seahawks for the 2013 season.
"It was a business decision, but I felt like I was the best quarterback on the roster," Jackson said. "That lets you know it's all about business, about money. It really was a blessing in disguise. The situation at Buffalo was a rough situation and I appreciate the opportunity, but going back to Seattle was a better situation even though I'm not the starter. I've got a chance to get back with some familiar faces, back at a place I'm familiar with."
Now, a little older and a little wiser, Jackson knows barring injury or any unforseen circumstances that's it's unlikely he will ever get another shot at a starting job in the NFL.
He signed a one-year deal to compete with Brady Quinn for the role as backup to Wilson.
If he wins the job, he is likely to receive a contract extension next year. If not, he may be released again. After all, it's a business where eight-year NFL veteran quarterbacks are for emergencies in case the starter is injured.
"I know the city, and I'm with a good team," he said. "We know we can win every game we play. At Buffalo, it was a little different. We were an up-and-coming team trying to find ourselves. They released me on a Monday (in June). I worked out, I left and came back home and the Bills called me back up there and told me they were releasing me.
"My agent asked me, 'Tarvaris, who do you have in mind?' I said, 'I want to go back to Seattle.' "
Gayle writes for the Montgomery Advertiser, a Gannett property.
***
PHOTOS: Which QBs are getting most (and least) guaranteed money?

No comments:

Post a Comment