Friday, July 19, 2013

A-Rod 'checks off some boxes' in rehab start


MOOSIC, Pa – Alex Rodriguez had another reality check in his latest rehab start Friday night for the Triple-A Scranton Wilkes-Barre RailRiders in their game against the Louisville Bats.
While he rehabbed with the Double-A Reading Fightin' Phillies, Rodriguez noted how he wanted to "check off some boxes," one being sliding into second.
Rodriguez went 2-for-4 with a pair of singles and over eight innings as a designated hitter in the team's 2-1 loss to Louisville. The telling point for Rodriguez when he was thrown out going from first to second on an apparent double from a ball that one-hooped against the left field wall.
In his final at-bat in the eighth, A-Rod came to the plate with the RailRiders down 2-1 and received a riveting response. On a 1-0 pitch, he stroked a one-hop liner to left that bounced off the wall. But Louisville left fielder Felix Perez fielded it cleanly and fired a bullet to second baseman Emmanuel Burris, who tagged him Rodriguez out as he slid with both feet into the bag.
Rodriguez, who appeared to hesitate on his jaunt to second, debunked any thoughts of running in his allotted speed at this time.
"It wasn't in slow motion," he said. "That was my speed. It felt good rounding first base, knowing I'm not running as fast as I can, but I'm running hard. I knew I was going to slide. Even though I was sitting round for eight innings, I fell that my mobility is coming along pretty well. But I wouldn't expect much more speed than that. I'm sure that I can outrun some guys out there."
With him targeted to return to Yankees Monday when his 20-day rehabilitation assignment will end, Rodriguez doesn't plan to lower any gears in his final two games with the Railriders. He will play third Saturday night, but he wasn't sure if he would play there.
"You have to go in there reckless," he said. "I'm playing like I'm playing in Texas or New York. The plan all along was to play four (games), take a day off, and then play four more. After the four games, I have felt pretty good."
Rodriguez also expects his play in the field might take some time to adjust.
"I said all along that I thought I would be behind several weeks defensively," said Rodriguez. "I think it is a work in progress. My pregame work has been intense and it will take time. I'm a player. I like to be out there in the field. Wherever the manager puts me, I'll be happy.
"My preparation for tomorrow has already started."
He also was unsure about his reception in Texas Monday. But he relished his time in the minors.
"I'm not sure how things will be in Texas," he said. "But I always thank the managers in the minors for my time. It is always a special time to be around the young guys. "
Overall, Rodriguez feels positive about his physical status.
"I really fell things are getting better," he stated. "I'm seeing progress in the weight room and in my overall game. I have been watching my brothers on the YES Network and I'm anxious to get back there."
Rodriguez, who hit second in the order, entered the game hitting .187 (6-for-32) with two homers, eight RBI, and eight strikeouts in 11 games. With his single, Rodriguez upped his average to .220 (8-for-36).He began his rehab from January hip surgery on July 2 and his 20-day rehab assignment can return him to the Yankees, who play in Texas Monday.
In his opening game of a four-game series with the RailRiders, A-Rod hit a two-run homer to right and he played seven innings at third base. He came to Scranton/Wilkes-Barre after a two-game stint at Double-A Reading, where he hit his first homer – a 400-foot shot – July 15. Before that stop, Rodriguez played eight games between the Single -A Tampa Yankees and the Single-A Charleston River Dogs.
Yankees team president Randy Levine recently told USA TODAY Sports that Rodriguez will return to the lineup if he stays healthy.
"If he's ready to come back, and he's healthy, he'll be back Monday night," Levine said. "We need Alex Rodriguez. We need a right-handed bat. We need a third baseman. He's the best third baseman we've got. And if he's hot, he can carry us.''
In his first at-bat, Rodriguez was greeted with a series of cheers. But before he took a pitch, leadoff hitter Dave Adams –hit by a pitch – was picked off first by Louisville pitcher Chad Rogers.
Rodriguez took the first pitch for a strike and the second one was outside to even the count. He then hit the next pitch, a two-hopper to short, and hustled down the first base line before he was thrown out.
In the bottom of the fourth and in his second at-bat and again greeted with cheers, Rodriguez came to the plate after Adams tied the game at 1-1 with a homer to center. A-Rod hit the first pitch down the right field line and the ball dropped in just inside the line for a single. Adonis Garcia followed with a single to right, and A-Rod jogged into second. However, but Rodriguez and Garcia were both stranded on base to end the inning.
"It was a lucky hit," said Rodriguez. "I hope I can get a few of them when I return to New York."
During his third at-bat in the sixth, Rodriguez was again greeted with cheers. He worked a 2-2 count in which he swung on the first strike and took a second. On the next pitch, A-Rod struck out swinging on an off-speed pitch.

No comments:

Post a Comment